On this particular project, the customer voiced the idea to me that he would like fog lights on the front of his '67 Camaro that was already in my shop for the install of Holley fuel injection, subframe connectors, ladder bars, rear diff repair, rack and pinion steering, engine freshening, etc. He said that he was fond of the '69 Camaro's front valance with the round marker lights, and knew that a fog light conversion was available for a '69 after seeing them in an issue of Hot Rod magazine. I decided to to preserve his factory '67 RS valance in case he changed his mind, and started by ordering a new '69 Valance, and a new '67 base model Camaro valance (no marker light holes to fill). I laid out the cuts so that the lights would be in the exact same location on the '67 as the '69. I also cut out and moved over the the finished part of the opening from the center so that the opening for the bumper brackets would look factory and finished. After slowly welding the now 5 pieces together to minimize warpage, the valance was metal finished and prepped for paint. The back side was prepped and undercoated, and the front was sprayed in-house with color-matched to the car PPG black pearl base coat, and ALSA clear coat. I then installed the foglights, which I obtained directly from Morris Concepts, who had discontinued them, but were nice enough to sell me a pair still on the shelf in the warehouse. I then installed the Valance, bumper brackets, bumper, and wired the fog lights through a relay triggered by a vintage looking switch mounted discreetly on the Camaro's dash. I'm currently finalizing a rework of the hood latch release, (the original setup would not work with the new valance) and I will post an update soon showing how the bumper looks and how the new hood latch release works.
This Patina'd Model T hot rod project came in for a top chop and roof insert to match the already shortened windshield frame the owner had for it. Our first step was to square up the body as much as possible from corner to corner and make sure it was level and securely mounted to the frame. Temporary bracing was welded in to make sure it stayed that way when the roof was cut free. Then, after ascertaining just how much to cut by measuring the windshield frame, we laid out the chop and began cutting. Care was taken to maintain a rear window size that was proportionate to the side windows, as merely cutting evenly on all four sides would have resulted in a mail slot rear window that would be very hard to see through. after cleaning up the cut seams, we started tacking the roof back on slowly and carefully to minimize warpage on the 94 year old sheet metal.
The window openings on the doors and quarter windows required significant reworking to flow back together properly, and the body required two relief cuts by the rear window to meet back up properly. After everything was securely tacked back together, the roof insert (from an early 1960's Ford Station Wagon ) was cut out large with the plasma cutter, then slowly cut down to size after being fit and squared up to the car. The Visor was massaged and blended into the roof. Then everything was finish welded, ground smooth, planished, and made as nice possible in bare metal as the car will stay patina'd and the owner has no immediate plans for paint.
We're currently mounting the pedals, steering column, steering box, and other necessities. I'll post an update about that soon.